Sunday, January 8, 2017

IS-W

I purchased the turret from the fictional IS-W dieselpunk walker tank created by Noah Li from Shapeways just because I thought it looked cool.


The IS-W model is supposed to be 1/100 scale, but it looked like it would work fine for 1/72 as well. I considered buying the full model for a second, but decided against it since the total price would have been close to US$100.

The design is very similar to the KV-2X Heavy Walking Tank made by the now defunct MIG Productions in 1/35 scale many years ago.


The turret looks a lot like the conning tower of a submarine.


I'm not going to use the gun that came with the turret because it is way oversized. Here is the turret with a D-10T barrel.


I originally envisioned the turret with a ML-20 barrel like the IS-152 designed by Kow Yokoyama for the Panzer Front game (not to be confused with the real life ISU-152).


Here's the turret on a IS-3 chassis.



I dunno, doesn't look very convincing. I wonder if the T-10 chassis might look better...

Here's the turret on an E-100 chassis for purposes of showing it on a larger hull.



A little better? Perhaps. The turret probably still looks best with it's original walking tank body.


2 comments:

Milgeek said...

Amazing stuff. $100? Not surprised you didn't get it! ;)

EY said...

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for reading. 3D printing is still too pricey for me in general. There's a 1/72 Phalanx CIWS that I really want, but I can't justify the price to myself. But obviously to others, the price is not an issue, as there is apparently someone who plans to get 10 of the things (which would be close to $900!).