Sunday, January 18, 2015

X-Ray Beast

I was surfing the net and found this picture by Carol Rode.


It depicts an X-Ray Beast, which was created by Dave Hargrave for All the Worlds' Monsters. I don't have my copy of the book on hand, so I don't have any particular details on it except those gleaned from the Old School FRP tumblr. The beast can project x-ray radiation from it's eye, and thus can see through walls etc.


Anyway, when I saw the picture, I was reminded of an old toy hippopotamus figure that I had, so I dug it up and decided to convert it into an X-Ray Beast.


I just cut off the eyes, and then pinned one of them to the center of its head. Some J-B Weld was then used to smooth out the surfaces and emphasize some areas which were not molded very well on the original figure.


I think it would be fairly safe to say that this is currently the only miniature of an X-Ray Beast in existence.


I need to dig up my copy of All the Worlds' Monsters to see if there are any more details about the beast's appearance before painting it up (though I really want to paint its eye like Ray Milland's from the 1963 movie X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes).



No comments: